Friday, May 29, 2009

Xrays and stitches

At about 7PM on 5/28 while Mike was on a plane to Phila., this happened...

That's the glass door to our tv stand. We still aren't sure what happened. Connor and I were both sitting by the tv stand but all of the glass landed on Connor. I scooped him out of the glass as quickly as possible but this still happened...

I apologize if any of the screaming disturbed anyone in the tri-state area! There was more blood then I wanted to see and it really scared Connor. Fear and pain kept him screaming! I had no idea if stitches were needed so I called my mom (Mommom) while I was cleaning the wound in the powder room. I had the phone on speaker but Mommom still couldn't hear me because of all the screaming! She was at our house in minutes!
We called the WONDERFUL night nurses at CHOP that work w/ Connor's doctor and found that we were to apply pressure for 10 minutes and if the bleeding stopped, no stitches needed....Well, we applied pressure for 10 minutes, 3 times and there was still bleeding, so....

My little Connor had his first trip to the ER, his first xray (to look for embedded glass), and his first (4) stitches. Mommom came to the hospital with us and stayed until Connor went for xrays. Mike got to the hospital just minutes after us. At this point it was more than 2 hours since the cut had happened and Connor had calmed down a lot - until the nurses and doctor had to come near him of course! The PA (Kristin Frank) that stitched him must have been an elementary school teacher in a past life because she knew all the tricks to keep Connor calm...until the stitching. While he was being stitched it took 4 of us to hold him down and it just broke my heart. He screamed and cried so hard that he broke a lot of little blood vessels in his face. Here is how the stitches look the day after...
The boo-boo doesn't seem to hurt Connor too much today. But our weekend canoeing had to be modified to a picnic to keep him out of the water. We are just happy that it was only a small cut after all that glass. And as always, I am so glad I live so close to my mom! Connor is being spoiled today with some TV time! He deserves it!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: